When I hear “beignets,” I immediately think of my vacation to New Orleans many, many years ago. My aunt, a friend and I decided to take a one-week vacation and stay at the French Quarter in a beautiful hotel. That was only one of three things I enjoyed that week. The other two things were the Beignets and coffee at Café Dumonde. Our vacation was a complete disaster and one day I will share more about it in a blog post.
In this week’s recipe, it’s all about the love of a mouse! Mickey Mouse! I’m so happy I am getting to use the Mickey Mouse-shaped cookie cutter again! A couple of weeks ago, I ran another poll on my Instagram and Twitter accounts asking my followers to choose the next recipe. This is the winning recipe! I had a feeling it would be this and I was a little worried about it. I don’t know about you, but I hear beignets and I hear complicated! Honestly, it wasn’t that bad at all!
The morning I decided to make these, my son, Michael, was having some difficult behaviors. Honestly, I don’t know how I even was able to do it. I was so overwhelmed and just felt sad. If you don’t know, my son, Michael, has autism and is non-verbal. When something is bothering him, it is difficult to figure out exactly why or what’s bothering him. I’m happy to say, I think I know what it was on that day, but there have been many days where I have no clue. Michael is generally a very sweet, happy, and loving boy. That morning was very difficult for us, so If I seem off in my YouTube video, that is the reason why. Now, let’s get to the recipe!
The post may contain affiliate links. Joann Salas is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
Mickey Mouse Beignets
- 1/2 tsp dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp vegetable shortening
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- vegetable Oil for frying
- powered sugar
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water in a small bowl, stirring to dissolve. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Combine sugar, shortening, salt, heavy cream, egg, flour and boiling water in a large bowl; stir in yeast mixture. With the dough hook attachment of an electric mixer on medium speed, mix the dough just until combined and smooth. Let dough rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll to 1/4-inch thickness and cut individual beignets with a Mickey Mouse-shaped cutter or cut into 2 1/2 to 3-inch squares. Cover with a towel and let dough rise until doubled in size in a warm, draft-free area, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Using caution, heat 3 inches of vegetable oil to 350°F in a deep, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Fry beignets until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes, turning as soon as they brown on one side. Remove with tongs and place on paper towels to drain. Dust warm beignets with powdered sugar and serve immediately.
Okay, for the most part, this was an easy recipe! These went fast! I only had a taste of one, and it was pretty darned good! As I say in the video, I was impressed with myself! Hehe! Seriously, these are great to make at home. Bring that Disney magic into your kitchen and your home! We can all use some magic in our lives these days. You won’t regret it! Keep in mind that you should eat these as soon as they are done. They taste best when they are warm and fresh.
I hope you enjoy this week’s recipe and video! If you would like to try this recipe, you can print it out above. Let me know if you try it! I would love to hear how it goes and if your family enjoyed it. Please check out my YouTube video as well. Be sure to comment, subscribe and give it a thumbs up!
Thank you for stopping by! I would love to talk more! Please come hang out with me on Instagram at @Lovealwaysjoann. You can also find me on Twitter, Pinterest and Facebook. If you want to be alerted when I publish a new post, you can follow me on Bloglovin’, or subscribe via email.